Alternator:

The Problem:
The problem is that the alternator on one engine stopped charging the starter battery.

The Fix:
After a lot of wiring twiddling and testing of connections, we took the alternator to a shop. Sadly it had given up
the ghost. So, the fix was a new alternator and a WIRING DIAGRAM!!! At first we were not given the wiring
diagram and that made if really, really annoying.

Lesson Learned:
After canvassing other cruisers, alternators break, bring a spare.

Generator seized up:
The Problem:
It was a dark and stormy night.... Oh, alright, it was a bright and sparkly day when the Fischer-Panda generator
stopped functioning. It started but refused to spit any water out. Naturally it started to overheat and shut itself off.

The Fix:
After inspecting the impellor - all hunky dory - and cleaning the filter -ewwww kinda gross, Richard hooked up the
wash-down pump directly to the generator's saltwater cooling intake. This forced water through the system while
the generator was running. A trickle of dirty water came out then, all of a sudden, a gush. We suspect some clog
in the cooling system. It seems to be behaving without the forced saltwater enema for now.

Lesson Learned:
Think creatively with your available resources. The saltwater wash-down pump that we had considered a luxury
turned out to save our generator.

Electrolysis:
The Problem:
Our zincs erode with alarming frequency.

The Fix:
Leave marinas and hot boats behind. The additional solution is to use Locktite when installing the  prop zincs
and paint them with nail polish on the screw heads.

Lesson Learned:
Its not always your own boat repair inadequacies. Sometimes it really is other people. Oh, and, sometimes the
prop zincs fall off rather than erode away when subjected to vibrations.

LEDs Fail:

The Problem:
About half of the 8 West Marine LED Dome Lights we installed have failed. The individual rows of LEDs start to
flicker and then, eventually, cease to light up. In addition, we have found that their blueish light rather depressing.

The Fix:
We plan on replacing all with a more yellow, brighter light that is a proven technology and brand.

Lesson Learned:
Before replacing our functioning lights with something that seemed too good to be true ( a bright light at low
energy cost) we should have first asked around for recommendations.